Organisation of the Ministry of Education and Culture
According to the division of duties agreed by the Government, Minister of Education Anna-Maja Henriksson heads the Ministry and is responsible for early childhood education and care, general education, vocational education and training and religious affairs.
Minister of Science and Culture Sari Multala is responsible for matters covered by the Department for Higher Education and Science Policy and the Department for Art and Cultural Policy.
Minister of Youth, Sport and Physical Activity Sandra Bergqvist is responsible for matters covered by the Department of Youth and Sport Policy, including matters related to student financial aid.
State secretaries assist ministers in political guidance and direction and in the preparation of matters.
Permanent Secretary Anita Lehikoinen directs the activities of the Ministry of Education and Culture together with the ministers. The Permanent Secretary's duties include supervising the preparation of matters at the Ministry and attending to internal activities.
Departments and units of the Ministry of Education and Culture
The Ministry of Education and Culture has:
- Department for Early Childhood Education, Comprehensive School Education and Liberal Adult Education
- Department for General Upper Secondary Education and Vocational Education and Training
- Department for Higher Education and Science Policy
- Department for Art and Cultural Policy
- Department for Youth and Sport Policy
The Ministry’s common functions are attended to by
- Administrative Unit
- Finance Unit
- Secretariat for International Relations
- Communications Unit
The Ministry’s Rules of Procedure contain a more detailed description of the duties of the different departments and units.