Internationalisation programme and global networks
Agreements on internationalisation measures that are part of strategic funding have been concluded between higher education institutions and the Ministry of Education and Culture.
A total of EUR 185 million will be allocated to the internationalisation programme in 2021–2024. The programme is divided into Global pilot networks (EUR 55.6 million) and Talent Boost activities (EUR 129.2 million).
Global networks funded by the Ministry of Education and Culture
Finnish higher education institutions are running eight global networks, which serve as a cooperation network for broader collaboration between the institutions.
The networks are coordinated by Finnish higher education institutions, the goal being to create a cooperation network for Finnish institutions and their partner institutions abroad, as well as develop mutual cooperation in higher education and research, development and innovation.
The programme’s objective is to establish new connections that strengthen Finland’s higher education, competence brand and cooperation network worldwide. The goal is to attract and recruit international talent to Finland and set up research, development and innovation (RDI) projects to meet global needs.
Finnish higher education institutions are involved in networks linked to the programme that include participants from African countries, China, India and the US. These cooperation networks focus on education, RDI projects, food sciences, healthcare and wellbeing, sustainable development and higher education collaboration. The global programme also supports the higher education institutions’ own internationalisation efforts and the fulfillment of their strategic goals concerning quality.
Partner projects and networks:
The following partner projects and networks are underway in the global component of the internationalisation programme. The coordinating institutions can provide further information about the current global networks and the progress made in them.
- Finland-Africa Platform for Innovation, FAPI (SDG 9) (University of Turku)
- Finland-China Network in Food and Health Sciences (University of Turku)
- Finnish-American Research and Innovation Accelerator, FARIA (University of Helsinki and Aalto University)
- Finnish and Southern African Higher Education Institutions Network for Health and Wellbeing, SAFINET (Tampere University)
- Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) partnership (Aalto University): FICORE Finnish Indian Consortia for Research and Education
- Global Innovation Network for Teaching and Learning, GINTL (University of Helsinki and University of Jyväskylä)
7. China-Network of Finnish Universities of Applied Sciences (coordinated by the Haaga-Helia, Metropolia and Laurea universities of applied sciences)
- Jari Luomakoski, Project Manager, [email protected], tel. +358 294471467
- Jenni Pohjola, Project Specialist, [email protected], tel. +358 294471024
8. EDUCase Platform (Case platform for sustainable development and responsibility, Aalto University).