Finnish National Commission for UNESCO
At the national level, UNESCO is supported by the national commissions for UNESCO, which act as liaison between UNESCO and national authorities. The Finnish National Commission is an advisory body and issues opinions to the Ministry of Education and Culture and the Government and takes initiatives with regard to:
- measures to be taken in Finland following decisions and recommendations adopted by UNESCO General Conferences and UNESCO executive bodies and by international conferences and meetings organised by UNESCO;
- other major matters and questions of principle relating to the activities of UNESCO;
- the representation of Finland at General Conferences and on UNESCO executive bodies and at international meetings and talks organised by UNESCO;
- other questions relating to UNESCO's fields of activity assigned to the Commission by the Ministry of Education and Culture; and
- communication of UNESCO's aims and activities in Finland.
The Commission contributes also to the work of UNESCO's intergovernmental committees and participates in Nordic and international meetings.
The Finnish National Commission for UNESCO consists of a Chairperson and 11 members representing expertise in the fields of UNESCO. The Commission is nominated by the Government for a four-year term.
- Professor Teivo Teivainen, University of Helsinki
- Director General Elina Anttila, National Museum of Finland
- Senior Adviser Robin Harms, Non-Discrimination Ombudsman’s Office
- Director of Communications and Public Affairs Veera Heinonen, The Finnish Innovation Fund Sitra
- Senior Researcher Anna Kanerva, Center for Cultural Policy Research Cupore
- Executive Director Anna Munsterhjelm, Finnish National Youth Council Allianssi
- Counsellor of Education Jorma Kauppinen, Finnish National Agency for Education
- Academy Secretary Jaakko Kuosmanen, Finnish Academy of Science and Letters
- Executive Director Helena Laukko, UN Association of Finland
- Development Manager Päivi Pohjolainen, City of Turku
- Vice-Chair Thomas Slätis, Reporters without Borders - Finland
- Chief Executive Officer Lauri Tuomi, The Finnish Lifelong Learning Foundation
The Secretariat of the National Commission is provided by the Ministry of Education and Culture.
The Finnish National Commission for UNESCO
Ministry of Education and Culture
P.O. Box 29
Tel. +358 295 3 30004
Fax. +358 9 1607 6980