Finland's Presidency of the Nordic Council of Ministers in 2021
Finland will hold the Presidency of the Nordic Council of Ministers in 2021. The programme for the Presidency builds on the new vision for Nordic cooperation, according to which the Nordic countries will become the most sustainable and integrated region in the world. The objective of close cooperation serves to create a greener, more competitive and socially sustainable Nordic region.
Presidency priorities in education, research, culture, youth and sport policy
To achieve a green, competitive and socially sustainable Nordic region, the Presidency deems it necessary to invest extensively in human capital. To strengthen sustainable development and inclusion, active dialogue in education, culture and youth policy will be encouraged. The aim is the integration of these policy areas, creating synergies to achieve the Nordic vision.
The pandemic is fuelling changes in policies and procedures, especially in the context of digitalisation. Research-based knowledge is becoming increasingly more important to decision-makers and citizens alike.
Selected items from the themes of the administrative branch of the Ministry of Education and Culture during the Presidency:
Education, training and research
- Stronger competence in sustainable development at all levels of education, for example by enhancing the competence of teachers
- Better quality of competence and stronger digital skills at all levels of education; new learning methods and digital tools will be utilised
- Launching a competition designed for young people, looking for young people's ideas on how to tackle climate change
- Developing Nordic cooperation in schools in the context of Saami education
Culture, children and young people
- Role of sustainable development in architecture policy
- Audiovisual industries and sustainable development
- Indigenous peoples and copyright issues related to intangible cultural heritage
- Art education and sustainable development
- Promotion of reading among children and young people
- About the Nordic Council of Ministers (norden.org)
- Finland's presidency of the Nordic Council of Ministers 2021 (The ministry of Foreign Affairs)
- Nordic Culture Point
- Press release 27.10.2020: Finland to lead Nordic Council of Ministers in 2021
- Press release 5.5.2021: Culture ministers: Nordic co-operation more important than ever